Isola del Piano
Isola del Piano
Ancient stone and avant-garde organinc farming. When the lifestyle of peasant civilisation moves from the natural processing techniques of the earth, a spark triggers a movement that in a decade lead to the sudden transformation of the rural family farm economy.
The result is the repopulation of the historic villages and its transformation into a national pole of excellence, recognised for the quality of its organic food and the green flag for agriculture.
Geographically, Isola Del Piano extends along a plateau, between the valleys of the river Metauro and the river Foglia on the slopes of the Cesana Mountains. The ancient fortified castle, documented in 1284, was destroyed by Rimini in the war between the Guelphs and Ghibellines. The episode is documented in a carved inscription on a Gothic capital, kept in the polyvalent cultural centre. Today on the ruins of the ancient fortress, in the centre of the village, stands Palazzo Battistoni with its 16th century artistic portal.
Not far from the former Church of the Annunziata, today in the Auditorium, two frescoes from the 15th century are preserved, attributed to Giovanni Santi, the father of Raffaello.
The story tells of the long submission of Isola del Piano to the jurisdiction of Urbino, until 1574, when it was sold to Conte Camillo Castiglione, son of the most famous of the Baldassarre family and author of the "Cortigiano".
The fermentation of craftsmanship has always been associated with the abilities of the locals in the processing of limestone and sandstone, the production of lime, and the extraction and processing of plaster. A tradition now expressed through artistic ceramics, industrial crafts, furniture and organic farming.
This latter activity allowed the town to join the Circuit of the National Association of the Organic Cities. Isola del Piano was in fact among the first towns in Italy to convert to organic farming. The pioneering adventure began in the seventies with Agricola Girolomoni Cooperative, which became a strong national business with its brand sold throughout Italy and Europe.
The imprint of the founder is preserved among the young people in the area: proud, prepared and cultured, they insist on the importance of respecting the natural cycles of the products and a ban of chemical agents and herbicides in the production of cereals, pasta, vegetables and other products. The company today retains its splendid location among the hills of the Montebello Monastery, a meeting centre for cultural activities and the fulcrum of the Museum of Peasant Civilisation which attracts many schoolchildren every year.