Medieval torch lit nights. A land of ancient spinning mills, quarries and markets. With eight castles that every year, in May, battle each other in a challenging duel in the castle called Rocca delle Caminate.
Meldola is at the mouth of the valley of the River Bidente, along the road that leads from Forlì to the Apennines. Within walking distance of the Scardavilla Woods Nature Reserve, it is surrounded by delightful views and quiet landscapes immersed in lush vegetation.
The River Ronco's waters flow through the historic centre, with waterfalls emerging from the arches of the “Venetian’s” bridge. The city's image combines with that of the medieval fortress: an eternal unfinished building commissioned by the archbishops of Ravenna.
The town was at the centre of clashes between church and local lords until the year 1000, in following years it was a controversy between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines. The town gave refuge to Count Guido da Montefeltro in 1283, becoming his last residence in Romagna. Parts of the town collapsed in the earthquake of 1870, they are now the focus of conservative restoration work.
The territory is an ancient meeting place and place of exchange between the Umbri and the Gauls. It is the first stop encountered by pilgrims heading to Rome, along the Bidente valley, and has many marble statues and mosaics from Roman times
There were many different lords and ladies in different times such as the Ordelaffi family, the Malatesta family , Cesare Borgia, Aldobrandini and Doria Panphili Landi. Eventually Meldola became part of the papal state.
All these different dominations left monumental buildings in the village. In the old town one can find the beautiful Orsini square, which overlooks the Loggia Aldobrandini, the Palazzo Doria Pamphili, the birthplace of Felice Orsini and the Municipal building which has a clock tower.
Meldola is also remembered as being the epicentre of important economic phenomenas, such as silk production. Land of silk factories, important quarries and food markets, as shown in Silkworm Museum "Ciro Ronchi” located in Piazza Hesperia.
One should also visit the "Mirco Bravaccini" ecology museum, the church of the former hospital with frescoes from the XXIV century and the “Santissime Stigmate” oratory in the hamlet of Teodorano.
On the border between Predappio and Meldola there is castle called Rocca delle Caminate with the watchtower of Roman origins and the castle attested to between the X and the XI century. In the park the characteristic historical reenactment of the competition "Eight Castles” takes place: between fencing and falconry shows, flag throwing, duels, foods and crafts from the past, teams from the eight families contend the dominion of the stronghold.
The city's cultural life is enriched with exhibitions, festivals, and theatre shows dedicated to children and families alike. There is also the biennial "Nella Versari” award, awarded to artists who show inclinations in figurative arts, and the "Hesperia Award” named after the famous diva of silent cinema